Latest Posts and Updates
- Thinning Out Apple and Pear FruitletsFruit thinning is an essential operation to carry out to improve your chances of better quality fruit this year and more fruit buds next year.
- Top-Fruit Blossom, Spring 20202020 has been a rather excellent year for fruit blossom. Here’s a gallery of some examples I’ve seen in various places.
- The Biffin DilemmaIn which I try to work out whether I can justify the energy consumption needed to cook up a classic apple dessert…
- Another Holly Mount Pruning Session, February 2020A grey but dry and hugely enjoyable Sunday afternoon was well spent on helping to finish off this year’s winter pruning work.
- Mature Apple Tree: Restoration PruningHere’s how I went about the first phase of restorative pruning on a mature apple three that has been sadly neglected for a few years.
- Stepover Apple Trees: Winter PruningHere’s how I pruned three stepover trees on our allotment plot, leaving them until January rather than pruning in late summer as usually advised.
- Pruning Session: Holly Mount Orchard, January 2020On a grey and drizzly afternoon I spent a happy few hours helping to winter prune a few of the trees in Holly Mount community orchard.
- Book Notes: Apple, by Marcia ReissA review of Marcia Reiss’ social history of the apple, as told from a US-based perspective.
- Restoration Pruning of an Overgrown Plum TreeImproving the branch structure of an overgrown and crowded plum tree on our allotment plot.
Join the Mailing List
To receive semi-regular updates when new content is posted, please visit the mailing list sign-up page and fill in the form.