Latest Longer-Read Articles
- Winter Pruning to Control Apple CankerSometimes a drastic tree health problem like apple canker requires a fairly drastic pruning remedy.
- Stepover Apple Trees: Winter Pruning, Year TwoA follow-up to last year’s stepover winter pruning post, with details of re-growth and this year’s pruning.
- Growing a ‘Family’ Apple Tree – Episode 1I’ve been meaning to graft up a multi-variety apple tree for a while; here’s my first attempt.
- Planting Up More Cordon Apple TreesIt’s always a good day when you get to plant new apple trees.
- On The Trail of the ‘Hereford Beefing’A chance glance at a Tweet sparks hours of enjoyable research into old apple varieties and this very long-read piece.
- What Are ‘Chill Hours’ And Why Do They Matter?The recent UK-wide cold-snap will have been really good for our fruit trees – here’s why.
All Posts and Updates
- The Forme of Cury, on Making ComadoreAnyone for a 14th century recipe for what sounds distinctly like a fried, fruit-filled doughnut?
- Thomas Dawson, on Making Apple PescodsFried fruity things, with apples, figs, dates, currants and spices? What’s not to like?
- Au Revoir to Pear, Plum and Damson Blossom?Two nights of bad weather after early blossom has bloomed is bad news, but hopefully not the end of this year’s crop.
- On Winter-Proofing Apples, 1820s styleWhen winter came in 19th century America, it was out with the thin linen cloths to protect the fruit still on the trees.
- Elizabeth Clelland, on Making Quiddany of Pipins16th and 17th century jam-making recipe, anyone? No jars back then though, so you’ll have to store it in boxes…
- Anon, on Making ApplemoyseThis anonymously-authored 16th century apple dessert recipe could be a good one for anyone with a butter surplus to shift.
- Theodore Francis Garrett on Making Apple BavaroiseAnyone for an apple Bavarian cream? Time to dust off your old bunny mould and whip up a boozy Victorian dessert in time for Easter.
- Frost Warning! Bad News for BlossomIt’s every orchardist’s worse-case scenario: a sharp frost forecast just as the blossom is starting to open…
- Ads of Yore: Hardie Orchard EquipmentAs this 1915 ad shows, when it comes to useful orchard equipment, some ideas and designs never go out of date.
Join My Email Update List
To receive semi-regular updates when new content is posted, please visit the mailing list sign-up page and fill in the form.