Latest Posts and Updates
- Mature Apple Tree: Restoration PruningHere's how I went about the first phase of restorative pruning on a mature apple three that has been sadly neglected for a few years.
- Stepover Apple Trees: Winter PruningHere's how I pruned three stepover trees on our allotment plot, leaving them until January rather than pruning in late summer as usually advised.
- Pruning Session: Holly Mount Orchard, January 2020On a grey and drizzly afternoon I spent a happy few hours helping to winter prune a few of the trees in Holly Mount community orchard.
- Book Notes: Apple, by Marcia ReissA review of Marcia Reiss' social history of the apple, as told from a US-based perspective.
- Restoration Pruning of an Overgrown Plum TreeImproving the branch structure of an overgrown and crowded plum tree on our allotment plot.
- How To: (Hopefully) Prevent an Orchard Aphid NightmareIn which I attempt to save our damson from the ravages of an aphid infestation.
- Pruning: Crown-Lifting a Bramley’s SeedlingIn which we remove the lower branches to create space for the tree's owner to move around their garden.
- Restorative Pruning Workshop, Platt Fields, ManchesterA day of pruning tuition and practice at Platt Fields community orchard with the Orchard Project.
- Introducing Plot #79, Orchard-in-ProgressPreparing the ground for a 20-tree orchard on a derelict allotment plot.
Join the Mailing List
To receive semi-regular updates when new content is posted, please visit the mailing list sign-up page and fill in the form.